In 2019, the Porto Summer School on Art & Cinema took place from July 2nd to 6th. The guest artists are directors Atom Egoyan and Todd Solondz and the artists Julião Sarmento and João Maria Gusmão/Pedro Paiva. Also confirmed is the Brazilian emergent artist Ana Vaz. The course included also scholars: Carles Guerra (director of Fundació Antoni Tàpies), Sabeth Buchmann (Professor, Academy of Fine Arts, Vienna), Guilherme Blanc (Cultural Advisor to the Porto City Council), Nuno Crespo (Dean of the School of Arts, critic and curator), and Daniel Ribas (Professor of the School of Arts and film programmer).
The Summer School intends to be an advanced course of new practices of cinema, combining a critical thought with the contact with great creators of film and contemporary art. The diversity of procedural approaches, as well as the decisive themes of the present world, will be presented by directors/artists of great international relevance, assisted by thinkers, critics and academics who will discuss the work developed during the week. The Summer School is structured in six days, and each day is dedicated to one of the directors/artists who, at different times and with different structures, will be in direct contact with the participants, in a creative and informal environment.
Besides the workshops, the Summer School has also an open program, mostly comprised of screenings and exhibitions openings from the directors or artists present in Porto. This program is offered to the city and its lively cultural audience.
- An international summer school aimed for artists and filmmakers.
- A faculty composed of internationally recognized artists/directors and academics/thinkers.
- An intensive regime, for a week, with contact with several creative agents of contemporary cinema.
- Use of the technical and artistic resources of the School of Arts (material for capturing images and sound, post-production laboratories for image and sound, exhibition space, library).
- The Summer School will take place in various cultural spaces of the city (Serralves, Municipal Gallery, Teatro Rivoli)
- The city of Porto, as a tourist destination of great cultural impact.
Further information: email@example.com
Interviews with guest directors